Junior Consultant – Weapons Westbury
Cost Engineer Weapon Systems
The Role This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role within the growing business across the Defence Weapon research and capability delivery programmes. This includes support to a range of industry and MOD clients within both conventional and novel weapon concepting, technology exploitation, system studies, cost analysis and acquisition.
Under the current COVID restrictions, the majority of work is conducted at home and at our offices when necessary. Under usual conditions, you will be highly mobile, able to travel between customer sites (the majority of which are within the south west) and able to work in multi- disciplinary teams.
Due to the wide range of interesting projects we support, the team is very well motivated and enthusiastic to provide the best support possible. We have a very collaborative environment and people are always keen to contribute to projects in order to enhance the findings.
Your Experience and Knowledge We would expect a successful candidate would have a strong engineering background with a proven track record of technical delivery within Defence and the Weapons Sector in particular. We are looking for someone with the following qualities:
- Personable, flexible, collaborative and able to able to foster strong relationships and a proactive culture within a mix of teams including internal, supplier and clients.
- You will enjoy simplifying and rationalising complex problems and able to communicate innovative ideas and present with confidence within a collaborative, client-facing team environment. Further detail around this role is provided in the table below. A particular set of qualifications is not necessary if the job holder has the appropriate Required Training/ skills and experience, but we would expect the job holder to be qualified to degree level Education or equivalent. Able to demonstrate relevant experience of:
- Technical delivery of analysis and/or systems engineering within Defence Weapons Research and/or Acquisition Programmes.
- Working with stakeholders to understand their problem and requirements.
- Experience of collecting, collating and analysing cost data and generating Required Skills and incisive outputs and advice to clients. Experience
- Ability to identify, develop and employ a range of Soft and Hard OA tools and techniques best suited to provide insightful and cutting-edge decision support in a complex project environment.
- Expert user of MS Excel, familiarity and confidence in using spreadsheets to create basic to complex models. Experience in the following areas would be an advantage:
- Knowledge of project controls concepts, practices, and procedures, specifically project schedules, work breakdown structure, risk and budgets.
- Understanding of MOD policies and procedures for Cost Estimation and Desirable Skills and Modelling, and associated supporting documentation (JSP 507, JSP 655, AQUA Experience book, Green Book).
- Portfolio, programme and project management (benefits realisation, evidence management etc).
- Experience working with DE&S.
With time you will be expected Progression to lead tasks, lead customer engagement, develop business, manage a team and contribute to Continuous Improvement. You will receive on-the-job training, support and coaching. You will be actively encouraged and Training and supported through professional membership accreditation and will be supported in your ongoing Mentoring professional development.
- 25 day holiday entitlement, Professional Institute Annual Fees Benefits
- Post probation: Generous pension scheme, health and life insurance